Pages

Thursday 15 July 2010

4. Ethics and skin sensitivities.

History -AKA how my ethics and skin-sensitivities evolved
I had always, from my teenage years when I was a vegetarian, searched out cosmetics and products that had not been tested on animals. It was very important to me and in view of this I had a love affair with The Body Shop as all of their products were not tested on animals and neither were the ingredients they used. I was lucky that living in Brighton meant that there was not only a Body Shop in the town but there was also a Neals Yard Remedies store and the fantastic Infinity Foods too. This also meant that not only was it perfectly possible to buy products not tested on animals but it was also possible to find out information and also buy raw ingredients to make my own creams and potions. I was perfectly happy with this state of affairs for many years, until getting pregnant. Two things happened to me at this point. One was that I started to develop really bad dandruff and a scaly scalp. The second was that I began to worry about what I would be using on my unborn child. I had never done any proper research on this but I just had a feeling that I didn't want to use the normal babycare ranges. My partner was still at University too so cost was also important and all of the 'natural' babycare ranges seemed very expensive. I made absolutely sure that I cooked all my own babyfood and breastfed for as long as I could to ward off allergies as best I could.

The big breakthrough in looking at these things carefully was when my second child was struck down with horrible, horrible eczema from about a year old. By this time the internet was very common and we used it a lot and so I searched for natural remedies to help with the eczema. This was when I came across the Imperfectly Natural Woman Forum which became like an online home for me. I brought Janey Lee Grace's book by the same name and it really helped me realise that there were lots of very easy and cheap (and not so cheap) ways of embracing natural cosmetics and skincare. The forum was a great source of help and I tried many remedies and also found the confidence to find a local homeopath who helped my daughter and myself immeasurably. She went from a child covered in eczema to being completely clear within a few months of finding a homeopath and switching not only my outlook to treating her but also my whole outlook in relation to what natural skincare and a natural life meant to me.

One thing I have learned as I've met more like-minded people is what my ethics now are in relation to natural skincare. I'm going to list them out to make them clearer:

  1. Simple, natural ingredients that I know. I like to be able to know what I'm putting on my skin. Through reading about this stuff and talking to the many friends that I have who make their own products I know it is perfectly possible to make things that work without a huge list of chemical names on the bottle or tube. This for me is THE most important thing. I'm worried about the build-up of chemicals that surround most of us now in everyday life and the 'cocktail effect' and I want to keep things as simple as possible in my skincare and haircare routines.
  2. Genuine Fairtrade and sustainability. The companies that I really like to buy from (see below) source their products from genuine sources of fairtrade products. I'm especially interested in my money going towards cooperatives that support communities in poorer parts of the world. If I'm buying oils I don't want to think about vast areas of the rainforests being cleared to supply me with what I want or for the indigenous peoples being cheated out of something that is rightfully theirs. I have always found that, many of these things are not much more expensive, and yet, I've seen that they can make a big difference to communities.
  3. Still no animal testing. This is very important. I, or any other woman is not worth the suffering of other living creatures for something that does not need to be tested on animals. Ever.
  4. Supporting small businesses. Something that has come as a small surprise to me but is pleasant and extremely interesting, is that almost all of the companies I now choose to buy from are small businesses, run with passion by women. The woman part is not a totally done deal and I wouldn't choose to buy from a company based solely on the fact that it is run by women, but it is interesting to note that it has enabled a few women to earn a living whilst working from home. This IS very important to me.
  5. Integrity. Everyone I buy from I trust. This trust hasn't always come easily as I can be a bit sceptical by nature but the companies who I really like, I trust to tell me which ingredients they use or won't use and what may or may not work for me. Seriously. It does make good business sense for them if they want repeat orders that their customers trust them. The internet has made things much easier for customers to contact companies with questions and simple requests too.

So..... The companies who I would like to give a special shout out to and who I would recommend to my friends are (in no particular order):

Akamuti -we're talking the best ever facial cleansing cream for one thing plus a great source for raw ingredients for all your own lotions and potions and all really reasonably priced too.
Sheabutter Cottage -You must try the coconut oil from here as well as the Monoi de Tahiti which is coconut oil infised with gardenia flowers. Just the most amazing luxury. Akua (who runs the show there) is a mine of information and one amazing fairtrade supplier who really does walk the walk. A great source of raw oils and other interesting ingredients.
Handmade Naturals -Rossi who runs this amazing shop both in the real world as well as on the net is a powerhouse. She makes most of the products which she sells herself and if you are looking for serious skin-nurture you will find it here. Both me and my daughter swear by her shower gels which are some of the most natural gels you can find and they really are luxury and ethical all rolled into one. Her condioner is also the best I've ever used. The bottle lasts ages too.
Pure Nuff Stuff -This is a shop and internet business based in Cornwall and they really were pioneers of absolute ethics combined with functional, no-nonsense affordable products. Does that make them sound a bit utilitarian? It isn't meant to. They brought properly ethical, natural skincare into the affordability realms of everyone's pocket and I salute them for it. I adore their soaps and their showergels. Their advocado cream cleanser is wonderful stuff as is their lipgloss.
Natural Spa Supplies -This is quite a new addition for me but I discovered this company through a friend of mine and I have totally embraced the rhassoul mud from here for hair and face washing. The crystal deodorant from here is also the best I've ever used and I've tried out a fair few crystal deods. Minimal packaging too is a total plus and loads of info on how to make the mud work for you.
Organ-nics -This is a real shop and internet store who stocks a lot of the products which I love. Nic herself is the person you meet if you trek to Tunbridge Wells to the physical shop and she also has many allergies and skin-sensitivities which is what prompted her to set up the shop. I love going for a poke around in the physical shop but if you're new to this malarky or feeling blinded by science then contact Nic for a bit of help and advice on finding your way.

This list is not exhaustive. It's really intended as a taster for those interested in natural skincare or wishing to become better acquainted. I still believe though that these companies do give some of the best value and the highest quality on the internet. Maybe you've got a site which you swear by and you'd like to share with me. I would love your comments.

1 comment:

  1. Well I started reading at this post and I love it - really informative. I'm always interested in the same things, ethical and supporting someone who has been brave enough to start their own business. Thanks for this Mel.

    ReplyDelete