Pages

Monday 5 July 2010

2. It is possible to find a mascara that is good for your eyes and still does what it should.

Isn't it funny that what we're aiming for when we buy a mascara is the longest, darkest lashes possible? You know the one that makes you look like you've attached a black spider to your eyelid. I don't know if I'm aiming for that these days. I'm not sure I ever was, but those adverts can be pretty tempting can't they? You know the ones don't you? The ones that tell you that you are totally entitled to whatever they want to sell you at any cost. I think when I was aiming for that was when I used to believe the adverts on TV. I don't really do that any more. Now I tend to look in the mirror and see if I think something enhances how I look and I like the way it makes me look. I guess I should own up here that I never, ever, read any of those 'celeb' mags either. They are very bad for your self image imho.

Anyway, back to Mascara. What I look for in a mascara is definition and making my lashes look darker. I think a good mascara should frame your eyes. It is definitely possible to get this with a natural mascara.The one I use is the Sante Mascara in Brown but I also have it on good authority that the Logona one is very good too. I must admit I do have fairly long lashes and I'm mousy so brown suits me. I've found that one coat works for me for a natural, everyday look. If I'm going out I put on one coat, let it dry and then put on a second and even maybe a third coat. Makes me look all glam and I do like to look glamorous when I'm out on the town. It also doesn't make my eyes sore either which is what used to happen when I used high-street mascaras. I also know this one is not tested on animals and has natural ingredients. These things are as important to me as much as function.

The only thing about this is that it isn't waterproof. For some people this might be a stumbling block, but to be honest, it works better for me. I often found that those waterproof mascaras would flake onto my cheeks. This doesn't flake. If it gets wet then it smudges, but you can wipe it off without leaving panda eyes with a bit of wet tissue and then reapply. It also washes out of bedlinen even with eco washing methods such as non-bio washing liquid. You also don't need any 'special' eye make-up remover. See the post before this to see how I take off my eye make up just with some oil. This to me is a real bonus.

The other thing about this is that these mascaras are no more than £15. This is about what you would pay on the high street for a mid-range mascara these days. This to me is a real bonus. I do find it very annoying when friends say to me, 'I would love to use natural, organic stuff but I just can't afford it.' You then discover that they go and spend £25 quite regularly on a Mascara at one of the Cosmetic Counters in a well known high street department store. Also, when you think of how much a pared back skincare regime is saving you, £13 on a Mascara isn't going to break the bank. I'm not sure there is anything not to like about my Mascara and I won't be changing what I buy any time soon.

Remember that I welcome comments, suggestions or questions about anything I write here, so what are you waiting for?? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment